Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Brussels 1, Denise ??? Hazard Lights

Had my first "What in the WORLD?" experiences that I have to share. Now, looking back, I can laugh at it myself, so I'm certain others will really enjoy this.

Last Thursday was my first official day in the new office of Waterloo, Belgium.
{Yep, that Waterloo - Napolean defeated in 1815. And yes, there is a re-enactment every other year - get your plane tickets! Ha!} Anyway, back to last Thursday. The admin supporting our group organized for a rental car to be delivered to the office for me to use for the next few weeks as I start the process of buying a car. I left work for the day (around 7pm - they work LONG hours here, more on that another day) and went into the parking lot with my set of keys. In the parking lot is a nice, relatively new Mercedes B series car. It is an automatic (yay!) and has a built-in navigational system (100% required for these wacky streets, even the locals need one).

Once inside the car, I surprised myself with the speed in which I was able to change the gps system from French to English. I get my apartment address programmed in and all looks good. I proceed to leave the parking lot and experience my first brussels commute.

Dreve Richelle, the street where the office is located, is quite busy for a two lane road. The Ring Road (freeway) is very close to the office so there is a bit of a backup. No worries, I'm from Detroit - I can merge. :) So far, so good. I head a short distance of 400 meters (see, already talking like a European), around one round-about (thank you PDP experience and my time spent in NJ) and turn left to merge onto the Ring. And... that is when the "what in the world am I doing here??" moment occured.

As I merge onto the Ring Road with plenty of additional motorists behind me, I feel the car struggling to accelerate. And by struggle I mean, "Why won't this car move????". I quickly check to make certain that the gear shift is in automatic mode and not "semi-automatic" mode (clutch-less shifting). Nope, thats NOT the problem. I pull over. Hazard lights on. "Can I go back to the US yet?" Anger.

I try again. Same issue. Pull back over. Frustration. I get out the manual. Its in Dutch. Awesome!

I check the dash. I turn the car off, I turn it back on. I try again. Same result. Definition of insanity? Yay, you got it! Close to tears. I consider calling Jeremy. I try. No answer. Tears.

So, there I am. First "real" day in Brussels and I'm on the side of the road, hazards flashing and crying. Perfect! "Get yourself together, Denise!" I flip through the manual again. Yay, thats pointless. I look all over the place on the instrument panel... and whats that? Whats the little light on the control arm for the cruise control (perfectly placed behind the sterring wheel and out of view)? Hmmm, its lit up in pale yellow. Next to the indicator light it say LIM. I switch it off. LIM? LIM? .... Limit? "DOES THIS STUPID CAR HAVE A GOVERNOR???" Yes, yes it does! Besides having the traditional cruise control, it also has a limit switch and will not allow the car to accelerate over a set speed, in my case 30 kph. Well, fantastic.

I continue my commute. Traffic is heavy, but I make it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! Are you serious? So were you able to change that limit? I have to admit, I started to go in panic mode for you! Than I did giggle a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no.. can you turn it off for good or is it adjustable? Yikes!! You poor thing; glad you got it sorted out and can laugh now but still, I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, everyone - sorry to not explain well. It definitely can be turned off. After I saw the light on, I swtiched it off - as simply as turning off cruise control and then I was good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would still be stuck on the side of the road in tears...or just driving around at 30 kph!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have to agree with akb228... I would be stuck puttering around like a grandma in Florida. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Explosion proof light fixtures
    After reading this great article I really assumed that this blog was the perfect combination of knowledge and information upon the topic Explosion proof light fixtures. so, keep writing.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete