Friday, October 8, 2010

Marking Time

Today is officially one month since I arrived in Brussels.  30days.  Have to admit, it seems MUCH longer.  I wasn't the typical expat that was overly excited about the relocation opportunity, perhaps because my family is staying behind while others have their immediate families join them.  That being said, I was told my "crash" wouldn't be as severe since I wouldn't be coming off a "honeymoon phase".  Don't know if thats better or worse.  I do know that its been harder than I expected work wise and about what I thought living wise.  I know that I miss Jeremy and my family tremendously.  I know its hard to be a new colleague in a new office in a new role in a new country. 

Hopefully each month will get a bit easier.  My sea container arrives on Monday (cannot wait!) so I am certain that will help make this place seem more like where I should be (still can't call it home).

The day I left Michigan, my Mom gave me a little pocket cross to carry with me.  On the back, it reads "Do not be afraid, I am with you Always".  I've carried it everyday.  Its a good reminder of who I am and whose I am. 

2 comments:

  1. How can it only be a month...feels much longer to me too. The worst is driving home from work and wanting to just chat and I can't call because it's too late there. I miss you a lot and while I do want things to get better for you I don't want you to love it so much that you never want to come back. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Dee!

    You have been faced with a whole lotta new and I think you are managing really well considering you've only been there 30 days.

    It's going to be tough, but you are one tough cookie. I am sure there are times when it feels completely overwhelming, but it will get easier with time.

    Keep up the blog, it's interesting to hear about your adventures. And some occurrences which may seem maddening now, you will be able to look back on and laugh at later.

    ReplyDelete