Friday, January 14, 2011

Looking for a Silver Lining

Being here has been tougher than I expected.  I knew that I would miss my family and friends tremendously.  And man, do I!  I thought that the one constant in this time of transition (besides the love I feel from so many people back at home) would be my job.  Sure, my position and my colleagues are different, but its still BASF and after almost 13 years, I kinda thought I had a handle on working for this company.  The transition work-wise has been much harder than I had planned.  I feel really stupid most of the time (and no, this isn't a shameless plug for you to tell me that "No Denise, you're not dumb").  The work here requires a different way of thinking and I'm struggling with seeing real value in many of my tasks.  Anyway, I feel like I've been focusing too much of how tough it is... that I've been neglecting some positives things that this experience has presented.

So, here's a quick list of my Silver Lining:
- Some fun new friends, especially my two new partners in crime Tania and Helen
- Meeting people from countries that I didn't even know existed (to my credit, many country names have changed since middle school and world geography)
- Not having to walk into a public bathroom and immediately bend at the waist to see which stalls have feet and are therefore occupied - Very simple concept, USofA... bathroom doors in Europe have an indicator (red/green) to notify if a stall is in use.  Novel idea!
- Above mentioned bathrooms also have full doors, no side cracks that show your cra... well, you know what I mean!
- Grocery stores not being filled with aisles of "diet" foods... there are also few convenience foods, but the quality of food really can't be beat even if it takes longer to prepare.
- Walking distance to the gym, walking more in general, and higher quality foods has resulted in a 14 lbs weight loss since relocating (I'm nearly swim suit season ready... and its still ski season!)
- I've been to some beautiful cities and have seen some amazing sites (with more to come)
- And of course the obvious - Great Beer, Great Chocolate, Great Fries and Great Waffles

3 comments:

  1. I love your glass half full attitude (especially if that glass is half full of good Belgium beer). I enjoyed every minute I got to spend with you (wish there had been more minutes, tho).
    I know, in time, you will get the hang of things at work and sail through the rest of your time there easily.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured there must be some good stuff going on over there too. I am glad to hear you are making friends and seeing some of the surrounding areas - I'm so jealous!!
    ~Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post - I like that you have found things you are enjoying. That makes my heart happy. How about adding - Great Moules! I'm so craving it.
    And congrats on getting hitting swim suit season uber early!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete