Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cause No Matter How Far Away You Roam....

...For the Holidays, You can't beat HOME SWEET HOME!

I had a really great holiday this year.  It meant so much to be able to be at home with all those I love.  Even having my wisdom teeth extracted didn't damper the 2 weeks home (I'm quite tough though!).

Cara Jasiolek and Dave Klaer - saying "I do"
I was SO fortunate to fly out when I did.  Had it even been one day later, good chance that I wouldn't have made it home for Christmas and definitely not for Cara and Dave's wedding.  I have learned very quickly that Europe does not handle snow well at all.  Between a major lack of snow plows and deicing machines, most airports come to a screeching halt with any real snow fall.  Couple that with tariff issues moving deicing fluid between countries and well, if you don't get out of here before the first few snowflakes - best hunker down and drown your homesick sorrows in trappist beers, because you're not leaving anytime soon.

Ice Skating at Campus Martius, downtown Detroit with
Erin, Tyler and Melissa



The 2 weeks I was home was jammed packed with the wedding, Christmas (and fast Christmas prep), seeing as many people as possible (SO sorry to those I missed on this trip, boo), having my teeth pulled, and New Years Eve.  Before I knew it, I was packing my things to head back to Brussels.  When I left Belgium before the holiday, I told myself that returning was going to be okay.  I have friends here now and I am much more comfortable living here than I was only 4 months ago.  In my head, all of these things should have made it much easier to leave Detroit and return to Brussels.  In my heart, it still hurt... a lot.  Its always so hard to say goodbye.  As crazy as this may sound, I always cry the hardest saying goodbye to Benson.  Maybe because I can't talk to him or email with him or skype with him.... maybe because he can't come visit.  Maybe its just because he lets me cry on him without response.

Can't wait til the next visit.
Happy 2011 everyone!

Playing with Ben's new frisbee (thanks Emmy and Ella)

New Years Eve - Joe Louis Arena!  Go Wings!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got out just in time and had a great visit back in the mitten state! We got a couple more inches here yesterday. Nice pic of you and Jer, based on the background I'm guessing Red Wings game.

    ReplyDelete